Care and maintenance
Recommended cleaning regime
Vantage Windows & Doors meets all statutory warranty requirements and is fully tested to ensure compliance with the New Zealand Building Code. Nevertheless, some simple steps will aid in retaining the appeal of your windows and doors for many years to come.
- After house construction is completed it is important that any builder's debris or dust is cleaned from the inside of sills to ensure that drainage holes are not blocked. This is especially applicable to doorways that may have been in regular use during construction.
- Cleaning once every three months is recommended for windows and doors. In coastal or industrial environments more frequent washing will be required.
- We recommend cleaning with a soft brush with warm water and some mild household detergent. Rinse with fresh water.
- Do not use abrasive steel wool, scrapers, scouring liquids or aggressive solvents or thinners. These are likely to damage the surface finish.
- The cleaning cycle should include the removal of build-up in door tracks to ensure drainage paths are unobstructed.
Powdercoated hardware should be cleaned regularly with a wet sponge or soft brush, warm water and a mild detergent and rinsed with fresh water. Plated product should be cleaned with a wet sponge without the use of detergent, as the latter can damage plating.
Stainless steel hardware needs to be cleaned regularly and care needs to be taken when rust spots occur. Even the highest grades of stainless steel can develop rust spots and these can removed with a mildly abrasive cleaner and rinsed with fresh water. In cases of heavy corrosion, a Scotch-Brite hand pad can be used. Specialised 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish is also available as an alternative cleaning compound.
Take extra care with glass
Glass is a very delicate product that can be easily damaged. Care is needed to ensure that scratching does not occur.
Only detergents and cleaning solutions which are recommended for glass should be used. Commence cleaning by soaking the glass to loosen dirt. Then using a mild, non-abrasive solution uniformly apply to the glass surfaces. Ensure that the solution is removed by rinsing with water as cleaning residue can permanently mark glass.
To comply with warranty requirements and to ensure longevity of Smartwood windows and doors the interior timber face should be sealed as soon as possible after installation with an appropriate finish e.g. oiled, varnished, stained or painted, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
If the timber is oiled or stained, this treatment will need to be reapplied every few years to maintain the appropriate level of product protection and appearance.
Duralloy is designed for
- Residential developments.
- Buildings up to three levels above ground.
- Properties greater than 100 metres from the mean high tide level
- Where a 10 year film and colour integrity warranty is desired.
Duratec is designed for
- Prestigious residential and commercial developments
- All major architectural developments
- Properties greater than 10 metres from the mean high tide level
- Where a 15 year film and colour integrity warranty is required